Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Beypore shipbuilding


I still has distant images of visiting Beypore when I was in school. It was during early 80's. I was thunderstruck with those big wood skeletons that becomes the hull of traditional ship made from Beypore. That time I was staying in Calicut along with my parents. Now after many years, I'm trying to piece together few more details about Beypore.

History of Beypore
Beypore port is one of the oldest ports in Kerala. In yesteryears it was famous for building unique wooden boats called as Urus. These big merchant boats(Dhows) were bought by traders by Middle East.Ship building still continues as the main business in Beypore.

Fish Stalls at Beypore
Fishing is continues as another livelihood for the people at Beypore. The fresh catch from the sea is prepared at many of the seaside stalls around Beypore. If you're a sea food lover, you can visit several of the seaside stalls to have sumptuous sea food at affordable price.

Beypore Light house

While searching for more places around Beypore,I found this unique hexagonal lighthouse at Beypore. I'm a big fan of lighthouses. I you're then you can visit this beautiful lighthouse. I found a nice blog post about the trip to Beypore light house. If you are technically inclined about this light house, click here for technical specification about Beypore light house.


How to Reach Beypore From Calicut
It's hardly 10 Km from Calicut town. Take a taxi or rickshaw or you get frequent bus from city bus station and Palayam terminals.


PS: Read this interesting travelogue on Beypore by the famous contemporary author Anita Nair

No comments:

Post a Comment